July 14, 2011

July 14, 2011

Crock

What a crock! Could NOT disagree more.

When traffic laws are designed to incorporate and recognize cycling issues, then I may do so. Until then, I will do an Idaho Stop or assess the red lights as I see fit.

DJC more than 2 years ago

I was an &$$#@#€

I agree. One time I blew through a red light and one of the cars stopped on the other side yelled "you &$$#@#€". And I thought: he's right. Since then I stop pretty religiously at red lights. The traffic rules don't quite work for cyclists though. I still can't convince myself to stop completely at stop signs when there is no car or pedestrian in sight.

David more than 2 years ago

Thank You!

I couldn't agree more. Not only do the law breakers make your job difficult, they endanger the lives of all the rest of us. Thanks for being another voice out there saying the right thing!

And hey ride organizers- take note: Make SURE your riders are obeying the law!

Chris more than 2 years ago

I agree to a point

I try not to run lights, but some lights just will not change no matter what I do. So I wait a bit for a clear and then go. Something Mr Cowboy hat needs to understand is that bicycle neither weight enough or have enough metal to trigger light sensors and not all intersections have pedestrian walk lights/buttons.

charlie more than 2 years ago

go girl

Mia,

I couldn't have said it better. It's super challenging fighting for rights that are deserved to have yet I watch fellow cyclists abuse them, everyday. It's like a one-legged man in an ass kicking contest :) Education and then more education is key.
More accountability needs to be had ... on both ends :)

Great article
jess

Jessica Mathews more than 2 years ago

running red lights

I agree. I bike on Market Street in San Francisco, daily, and I am amazed at how many cyclists terrorize pedestrians: these folks wait patiently for the "WALK" sign to cross safely, and the cyclists shoot between them like flying buzz saws, scaring the pants off the pedestrians.

I watch these cyclists in amazement: they seem to think they are still sitting at their computer, dodging asteroids in some on-line action game, in need of an adrenaline rush.

If we want to be respected by cars, we have to show respect for pedestrians. And if we want the support of the general public for pro-bike initiatives in our cities, we have to respect the rules of the road.

rich gunn more than 2 years ago

Riding courteous

I ride in the city every day and have been for a long time. I obey the laws (not always the helmet law) and cannot even recall an incident with a fellow road user, since forever. I have drivers smile at me and sometimes offer me their right of way. Chill out people, cycling is fun! Show your fellow road users how much fun it is and what nice people cyclists are.

Mia, you are a hero!

ch1 more than 3 years ago

I totally agree

I ride daily in Portland, OR, and have many times thought the same thing about cyclists and traffic laws. The last 2 paragraphs in your column are spot-on. I wish the BTA and other organizations would run a publicity campaign emphasizing the cost that scoff-laws burden all cyclists with. When it comes time to vote for city ordinances to improve bike facilities, I am sure that the overall reputation of cyclists matters to our car-driving voters.

John Thoren more than 3 years ago