October 11, 2012

Tags

October 11, 2012

"Complete Bikes for Complete Streets"

The feature that both road bikes and mountain bike share is that they sacrifice utility to performance, and that translates into competition. So it's "compete bikes" vs. "complete bikes."

For four years I have had a Giant Cypress with internal hub, front basket, rear paniers under a "trunk" I have rigged up. Can carry lots of stuff. For bad weather and some style, I have added bamboo fenders.

Chris Bradshaw 236 days ago

"Swung" both ways on this idea...

...And I discovered benefits to each. Several years ago, I set up an old hardtail with some Stingray-style apehangers, and HAD A BALL all summer on it! It just had too much front-end flex to stay with it. My present bike, a full-suss Kona MTB, has the bar level with the saddle, and I lean forward A LITTLE. The unknown advantage to this is, it stretches out my poor sore back.

Ride what you like -- but NEVER be afraid to experiment!

MarkB 236 days ago

Faster than bent over bikers

Everyone in the their not fast enough camp obviously didn't watch this years tour because Quintana' s back was at like 60 to 90 degrees as he rode uphill faster than umm well I guess faster than anyone else on the planet, btw if your worried about wind resistance you could always bend ur arms and bend over or do people in the there not fast enough camp not have elbows? That's write I said all that with two punctuation marks.

Warren g more than 1 year ago

I'm in between

I'm emphatically not a racer, but do some endurance riding in addition to commuting and errands on my bike. I only need one, with a diamond frame, 300 mm steering tube and drops. I'm only slightly bent forward most of the time, but can lower my wind resistance substantially in the hooks. Drops are very nice whether on not you race, because there are so many different ways to grip the bars. Moving the hands around is invaluable on a long ride. The long steerer lets me sit with my back about 60 degrees from horizontal, which is low enough to put a little torque on the pedals but upright enough to see well and not stress the neck. It took a lot of tinkering to get the bike the best it could be, but it's been worth the effort.

Alliwant more than 1 year ago

Original Dutch Burgers by anddutch.com

Shame you did not mention www.anddutch.com. Thy are the exclusive retailer for Hollands first and oldest bicycle brand; Burgers (meaning citizens in Dutch) They have over 43 models in various colours/gearing and size options. Perhaps worth a mention or look?

GJ baan more than 1 year ago

I love them, but. . .

. . . .they can be problematic in a very hilly environment.

Bruce Alan Wilson more than 1 year ago

My upright 21 speed beach cruiser

I have no idea how long I've had this bike but it's a blast to ride. Townie 21 is what it's called if that givres you any idea. I've got bad shoulders and no interest in sitting on a flag pole.It's big, sturdy and stable. No need to change clothes to ride it, at least not until I'm done.I likee the way the pedals are slight forward of the seat, makes it more comfortable and with 21 speeds to pick from I can go as fast as I want. It's good looking too
.It must be ancient since I didn't pay anything like $700 for it brand new.

Ted Wallace more than 1 year ago

I tried...

I tried road bikes, I'm just not suited for it. The upright position is just where i want to be. Eastvanistan, to each their own, go up BBy mtn if you want that kind of torture on a road bike, but that aint me baby. More power to ya. I believe that in the most of Vancouver, save for the stupid bike route that they call "Ontario", an upright bike is perfect. I don't believe that a road bike is necessary on most streets in Vancouver. Why go so fast? Slow down and live longer.

teddy more than 1 year ago

A range of geometries for a range of uses...

The article is big on praise for the upright bike but short on objectivity. The fact of the matter is that the range of geometries available reflects the range of uses people have for their bikes, and there are plenty of reasons for preferring less upright posture to more (sadly, none of which are mentioned here).
I commute 16.5km every morning and again every afternoon but I just dont have the time to spend 75 minutes on an upright twice a day. Instead, my commute is also my workout and it takes 40 min on my road bike. I used to commute up to SFU on Burnaby mountain and this is simply not possible on an upright bike. I enjoy cycling because I can move quickly and efficiently wherever I want to go. This simply no possible on an upright bike.
Look around: the people who want to move quickly are on road bikes, the people who are covering long distances are on touring bikes, the people riding trails are on mountain bikes, and the people rolling down the block to the coffee shop in their street clothes are on uprights. Don't try to tell me that this is the bike that's going to do everything with style and grace because its not.

Eastvanistan more than 1 year ago

My Sentiments Exactly

I love upright riding. A couple years ago, I converted my stock Surly Long Haul Trucker to an upright by removing the drop bars in favor of Nitto NorthRoads swept-back bars and new brake levers. I love this bike like no other I've owned. I'm planning on selling my, now rarely ridden, road bike this summer. Thanks for the great, timely article.

RideHappy more than 1 year ago

Love uprights!

Love riding uprights! So much more comfortable than the classic road bike. Just heard about this new project from a company called MiiR. They have a his and hers upright with a 5 speed internal hub, and they do a buy one give one program so every bike purchased helps give a bike to someone in need. Check them out at miir.com. Some really cool stuff going on in the bike world!

Josh Smith more than 1 year ago