July 29, 2014

I agree

Most of them look like the bicycle equivalent of the Pontiac Aztek. Good ideas, poor execution.

Jeff Perry 118 days ago

Very dissapointing designs

These designers/bike builders got all their priorities wrong! These bikes may look nice but definitely there is nothing utilitarian in them. A bike with a USB? You know how many times I have left my Kronan outside in the rain? If I had a USB port in it, it would be ruined by now. A GPS on the handlebar? I got a pretty good phone for that. You just buy a good handlebar mount for it and you have the perfect GPS. Some of them don't even have chainguards or fenders!!! I can keep going for days about all the things wrong with these bikes.

Very dumb designs, really. They need to start looking at the things done by the good brands like Workcycles, Gazelle, Velorbis...

Emilio 120 days ago

They are belt driven

That kind of makes the chainguard moot. The designs are awful, no question. They look like they're designed to be "cool" to people who don't actually know anything about bikes. These are awful. I can't imagine what the Blackline would be like in a mass-produced version. They'll either have to add a downtube or overbuild the top tube so that the bike is way heavier than it would be if built more traditionally. Maybe not, but it just doesn't look very stable.

Mathme 109 days ago

Hipsters don't know s**t

None of these is a true utility bike. Just go to Workcycles and buy the real deal - low maintenance, solid, practical workhorses.

Snowy 121 days ago

Seattle Bike Reveal Party

Man, all I can say, is those cats don't know NOTHIN' 'bout bike design. The designs are "ipad" eye-catching, but SO MANY PROBLEMS! The lock/handlebar was cute, but will fail and it was loose! The frames all had stress risers. There is a REASON the double diamond frame has prevailed. Seat stays go to the seat cluster because otherwise the frame fails. Full suspension bikes fail there often.

Aaron Goss 122 days ago

disappointing

Not one of them has FULL fenders or a chain guard- I would think these would be no-brainers, especially on the West Coast. And we're supposed to vote one into production without an even estimated retail cost? Cannot endorse any of them.

We don't need more new/different bikes: that's not the obstacle to getting more people riding.

Robin 122 days ago

Bike Design Project: Prototypes look awful

Wow, completely underwhelmed. These are the best of a city bike design challenge? Only one is a step through and all have bent forward riding and terrible handlebars. No thanks. I commute year round in Toronto with my Batavus Personal Bike and doubt highly that one of these would ever replace it. I love the step through and especially the upright riding position. These city streets are full of potholes and my wrists would take too much of a pounding with those designs. Plus I'm in my 40s and find upright riding causes no back issues while offering better visibility all around.
Maybe I need to be convinced but I am seriously skeptical that any of these could rival my current city ride.

Stephanie Allen 122 days ago