March 20, 2014

For the doubters...

...it's worth considering that the first safety bikes that were pedalled record breaking distances back in the days before tarmac were basically what we all relate to as an upright city bike.

Ian... 186 days ago

Pretty good beyond the City too

I have owned a heavy Dutchbike for several years now & rate it for far more than City use. It has done several camping trips loaded to the hilt and even goes off the beaten track once in a while - for slow riding off road the riding position offers superior control & the bike keeps its rider much cleaner than an Mtb. It's hilly where I live but riding up them is only a problem with loaded panniers - for that reason I bought a ladies framed model for easy dismounts to get off & push. As useful bicycles go, they take some beating.

Ian... 186 days ago

City Bike !

I've been riding my city bike in Melbourne for just over a year now and I'm always looking for excuses to go for a ride. I have a short commute on weekdays (6 kms each way). I love the upright position, and I feel so much more connected to my environment this way. And I wear street clothes. And there's a crate on the back!

PerthGirl in Melbs 187 days ago

I probably wouldn't ride without an upright one

I have an upright bike, and it actually eliminated my beefs with "biking for transportation." I wanted to wear normal clothes and not worry about getting greasy. I had no idea these bikes even existed till one fell in my lap.

There needs to be better marketing around the types of bikes and their uses. Many bike fence sitters, like me, would have jumped on the utility bandwagon a long time ago if I was aware an upright was an option.

Jame 191 days ago

Livin' Life, Upright

Great article. I never thought about the safety aspect when you state that you feel safer b/c you're more upright. Great comment. Also, I wonder, if the reason why more people aren't riding wonerful uprights are b/c of the fact that you're going slower. Meaning, many of us live in cities where bicycle infrastructure is either non-existent or not adequate for us to 'leisurely' ride at OUR speeds. For me, no matter how leisurely I ride, I am always riding faster than I know I would, say if I were riding in a protected bike lane. I am constantly feeling obligated to speed. I hope one day, I won't have to feel that way.

Jess Mathews 192 days ago

touring bike for me

whatever you ride more power to you! Just remember a city bike isn't the answer for everybody's commute or utility biking. Riding an ill-fitting bike meant for riding off road is not a good idea, and I find the hybrids and mountain bikes set up for street riding work better than the heavy city bike. I like more than 7 speeds and my touring bike provides nice low gears for climbing hills and great brakes. It's comfortable to ride, I see around me very well. It didn't come with racks or fenders, but there are plenty of options to mount them, and sometimes I just prefer a backpack. I see people straining on an upright bike to pedal up a hill and it doesn't make me want to go out and get one.

scooter 193 days ago

Totally Agree

I changed out the drop bars on my old racer for handle bars that let me sit upright six months ago, and also immediately noticed the difference. I enjoy riding my bike so much more now. I think it cost me under $30 to do at Our Community Bikes.

Melissa N. 194 days ago

Big red upright bike

YES. Riding in Smile!

John Fortier 194 days ago

love the red!

what a great article! I've been looking for the beautiful bike. Thanks so much for writing up this article!!

Amber 195 days ago

Dutch all the way!

I bought my Dutch bike last year, and I love it. On my old mountain bike, my back hurt every time I rode. Now that I don't lean forward, I'm much more comfortable.

However, I find the trade-off is lessened power. I pedal slowwwwwly now. Yes, the bike is heavier, but it also seems to have to do with the angle of my legs--I just can't mash as hard. Have you found this to be the case, too?

Bex 195 days ago